A coconut is the fruit of the coconut palm, Cocos nucifera. Coconuts are believed to be native to Southeast Asia, where they have been cultivated and used in food for centuries. Early Spanish explorers called it coco, which means "monkey face" because the three indentations (eyes) on the hairy nut resembles the head and face of a monkey. Nucifera means "nut-bearing."
With all the health, nutritional, and body care benefits that you get from coconut, there is no doubt why this has been hailed as the "miracle fruit". While coconut possesses many health benefits due to its fiber and nutritional content, it's the oil in the fruit that makes it a truly remarkable food and medicine. It is said to prevent and cure many sicknesses that are almost impossible to heal. Containing a healthy oil, it could help decrease viral load of HIV patients, could improve insulin production and thyroid function, it could reduce the risk of diabetes complications, and could even fight heart disease which is the leading cause of death. Coconut improves the performance of the digestive system that can make a person lose weight.
In traditional medicine around the world, coconut is used to treat a wide variety of health problems including the following: abscesses, asthma, baldness, bronchitis, bruises, burns, colds, constipation, cough, dropsy, dysentery, earache, fever, flu, gingivitis, gonorrhea, irregular or painful menstruation, jaundice, kidney stones, lice, malnutrition, nausea, rash, scabies, scurvy, skin infections, sore throat, swelling, syphilis, toothache, tuberculosis, tumors, typhoid, ulcers, upset stomach, weakness, and wounds.
- Kills viruses that cause influenza, herpes, measles, hepatitis C, SARS, AIDS, and other illnesses.
- Kills bacteria that cause ulcers, throat infections, urinary tract infections, gum disease and cavities, pneumonia, and gonorrhea, and other diseases.
- Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections.
- Expels or kills tapeworms, lice, giardia, and other parasites.
- Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
- Recent research points to symptom relief in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue.