A deficiency in many of the B complex vitamins can cause symptoms relating to fatigue. Muscle weakness, lack of coordination and wasting away of muscle mass are all possible symptoms. Pain or soreness in the muscles or joints may also result. In certain cases of deficiency, numbness or tingling in the fingers and toes may occur, the U.S. Office of Dietary Supplements reports.
Mental effects, such as confusion, headache, insomnia or irritability, may result from deficiencies in B complex vitamins. An increased sensitivity to light is another possible symptom. Anemia is also a common symptom of vitamin B deficiencies. Gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting or diarrhea, may also develop, according to the CSU Extension. Folate deficiency is also harmful.
Does this sound like some of the symptoms you are experiencing? It is important to have a quality B-Complex vitamin to combat the above. Puritan's Pride makes an Ultra Woman's and Ultra Woman's 50+ that has all your daily requirements in one capsule.
- Low levels of B9 (folic acid) have been linked to depression and bipolor disorder.
- Vitamin B3 (niacin) helps convert the amino acid tryptophan into serotonin. Low levels cause aggression, restfulness, and insomnia. Also noted are: weakness, dry skin, lethargy, headaches, irritability, loss of memory, depression, delirium, and disorientation.
- B6 is needed to convert amino acids into their respective neurotransmitters.
- Vitamin B12 acts just like a MAOI drug that helps elevate mood. Low levels can contribute to depression.
- The vitamin-like nutrient choline is essential for brain development. With the help of vitamin B5, it converts into the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, which plays an important role in learning and memory. A deficiency in choline may cause poor memory and mental fatigue.