The most common types of elimination diet involves removing specific foods or ingredients from your diet because you and your doctor think they may be causing allergy symptoms. Common allergy-causing foods include milk, eggs, nuts, wheat, and soy. Your doctor will supervise this diet over a few weeks. There are usually several steps to this diet.
You may not realize it, but the foods you're eating every day could be slowly corrupting your health and shortening your lifespan. But how do you know? For many people, toxic foods are hard to spot, especially for those who've already cleaned up their diets and feel like they are eating healthy. If you'd like to see if certain foods are causing you increased discomfort try the mini plan below.
Phase 1: Elimination
For at least 6 weeks follow these guidelines:
- Avoid all known and suspected food allergens. These are the foods that make you feel "funny" after consumption. Yes, you haven't lost your mind, there are food out there that make you feel "weird".
- Avoid all gluten-containing foods. Here you must read labels as wheat is a product consistently in our daily fare. No more wheat breads, tortillas, muffins, cereals, cakes, pizza, crackers, pasta, or pretzels. Look for gluten-free alternatives.
- Avoid all dairy products.
- No more soda. EVER!
- Ween off of caffeine products. The object is to reduce the consumption until there is NONE. Yes, you read that correct. Caffeine excites nerves. Excited nerves in fibromyalgia cause pain. You can do it. I once was an avid coffee drinker, but no more.
- I know this is a bit overwhelming. But you will be surprised at how well your body will respond to these choices during the month. The first week may feel uncomfortable as your body detoxes. Drink teas that are calming such as chamomile and take several "tubbies" using Epsom Salts bath. Don't give up thinking your dying. You're not. Your body is just releasing the "bad stuff".
Phase 2: Reintroduction
- After one month on the Fibromyalgia Elimination Diet reintroduce ONE new food at a time. Try a category that you feel may not be a bother such as dairy. Introduce milk back into your diet digesting a small amount twice daily.
- Wait three days. Eat this product twice daily during this time recording any reactions so you remember:-)
- After three days introduce another food back into your diet. Keep recording to see what foods are the culprits and may be starving your well-being.
This is a "nutshell" diet and doesn't fully walk you through the process. Nonetheless, It is a beginning point to see if there are any food sensitivities in your diet. For me, I took a nutritional course that offered emails of support as I completed the process. I can tell you it was the most thought-provoking period of my life. Food sensitivities that plagued me before virtually unnoticed came out in full sense as my diet continued. It was a real eye-opener.
Unfortunately, after careful evaluation my own elimination diet needed some tweaking for patients who suffer from fibromyalgia. I am in the midst of completing the F-Elimination Diet that will be offered as a complete tool for those who truly want to find out all food allergies/sensitivities and how to prevent them. It will offer daily support, something we all need here some days, along with a hands-on approach to make the process doable. If you are interested in receiving information on this and tired of being in daily pain fill out the form below for updates when it will be posted.