Many fibromyalgia patients have a history of chronic stress, often due to overloading their schedules and taking on too much responsibility for other people such as family members. A high number of fibromyalgia patients are young women who have “Type A” personalities and who lead ambitious, busy,
stressful lives. Men with fibromyalgia often have worked in jobs that have resulted in physical job-related stress.
For fibromyalgia patients, stress can also make the condition worse and can trigger particular physical symptoms. People who suffer from fibromyalgia often have trouble knowing their personal limitations, which can make it hard for them to know when they are in danger of overexerting themselves. When fibromyalgia patients physically overexert themselves, this can often lead to increased stress, which results in increased pain.
A vicious cycle can easily develop because pain can lead to more stress, which, in turn, can lead to more pain. For this reason, stress management is a key factor in alleviating fibromyalgia flare ups. In order to do so, we must learn to relax, and learning comes easily if you understand Deep Belly Breathing. Deep breathing can clarify your mind, and get you back to center stage quickly. It can be done THROUGHOUT
the day, EVERY DAY. Follow the guided steps below and seek peace again.
Begin by getting yourself some stickers, such as those rounded bingo stickers. Find your favorite color. That rounded marker will be your best friend in upcoming weeks. Begin placing those rounded markers throughout your life. On your dash, computer, kitchen stove, door way, and such will remind you when and
where to do your Deep Belly Breathing. This little indicator will make your thoughts shut down for the moment as you begin a few deep breaths. The most amazing thing is this little exercise will bring you immediate relief. Go ahead, give it a shot, and regain clarity.
Deep Belly Breathing Guided Practice
1. Begin by lying in a comfortable position away from family and friends.
2. Place one hand on your chest and one on our stomach.
3. Breathe, notice if you are a chest breather. If so, you are harboring stress daily and not letting the body let go. Breathe deeper until you feel your stomach rising. This is the essence of Deep Belly Breathing. Take note and breathe this deep when you do the exercise elsewhere.
4. Inhale for the count of five and exhale slowly to the count of ten. Breathe in and out slowly, deeply, evenly.
5. Repeat four times.
6. During this exercise get a favorite image: a beach, the woods, a field of flowers, Paris. Place yourself there while breathing.
7. Imagine the waves or wind taking out the stress each time you exhale depending on your place of choice.
*Do this anywhere. When you look at your sticker, and feel stress, begin to breathe and imagine.........