If you haven't worn, read, or used an item for two years or more, it's time to go. Give it to charity, sell it on eBay, Amazon, or Craigslist. Take a small section of your house, the one that bothers you the most, and begin on one piece of furniture or area. Just purge! Let go! Don't be a pack rat! Make it a rule that from now on anything not used in six moths must go. Grab some aid from your partner or children, and remember to PACE yourself. It's OK if you empty a cupboard one week and the wardrobe another week. You'll be amazed at how much happier and less stressed out you'll feel after you get the major areas cleared out.
Then get on top of household chores. A great way to start is signing up at the Fly Lady. Here you'll receive free tools to help you declutter and renew your spirit through the simple steps of purging your house of unnecessary items. Then, if you wish, you can sign up for daily emails. These emails are 15 minute clean-ups that will keep your home in tiptop shape all week. Yes, believe it or not, you can make a suitable impression on your home in 15 minutes or less each day. Each of us can do that!
Keeping on Task
- Aim at cleaning one room at a time rather than the whole house.
- On a bad day only clean the areas where they are most noticed. Example: toilet, sink, living room.
- Choose a lightweight vacuum so you don't become exasperated to easily.
- Avoid clutter by getting into the habit of putting things back right after you used them.
- Delegate chores to family members. You can't do it all!
- Keep a basket near the stairs so you can carry up more than one item at a time.
- Choose clothes from easy-care fabrics that need no ironing.
- When you're feeling good, make extra portions so you can freeze and reheat on bad days.
- Keep ready to use frozen veggies for easy meals.
- Keep the most used utensils visible so you don't have to hunt and pick.
- Keep a feather duster in easy reach for a quick five minute clean up.
- Vacuum the middle of the rooms when you only have eight minutes.
- Plump up cushions for quick appeal.
- Light one or two candles for a quick room freshener and ambiance.